LearnStreet is for people who want to learn a programming language and gain important skills to become more employable or build their own app. Our courses teach the basics of the language where people will learn about fun damental programming concepts like variables, basic data types, functions, conditions, loops, objects, classes and more. Our Code Garage contains in-browser programming projects where people can practice their coding skills.
LearnStreet believes that the best way to learn coding is by actually writing code. We recommend starting with one of our free courses to learn the basics of the programming language, then trying your newly acquired skill s at Code Garage projects where you have to apply what you've learned to make games, tools, and more. Our courses and projects all require you to continually write code as you progress, allowing you to practice while you learn.
On average a course will take anywhere from 3-5 days to complete.
We are working on a feature to let you do this, but for now you will have to create a new account with a different email address in order to restart a course from the beginning.
1. Multi-modal: Our courses are designed for beginners - we have multiple ways to help you learn, including chat/email support, Twitter, hints and background material. Get started on our Courses.
2. Code Garage Projects: After completing a course or if you already know how to code, check out Code Garage where you can apply your programming skills to build cool coding projects like building a Mastermind game or a Sudoku Solver. Get started on Code Garage Projects.
3. User Interface/User Experience: A key aspect of LearnStreet’s courses and projects is its distinct UI/UX. In order to see this, simply sign up!
Currently our lesson work area (console/interpreter) does not support non-standard keyboards. We may add support for this in the future.
We only support social logins at the moment. We will be adding a LearnStreet login soon, but meanwhile you will need a Facebook, Google, Twitter or GitHub account to sign up on our site.
We have several support tools you can use:
1. Click on the hint button within each exercise or project. Many of the hints include solutions.
2. Chat with us or send us a message if we are not online by using the tab in the bottom right corner of the page.
3. Tweet a question to us at @learnstreet.
4. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are working on improving the feedback and error messages. As long as the 'continue' button shows up, your answer is correct, even if the output console says 'None'.
There are two ways:
1. Click on the Courses link in the top navigation (or go to http://www.learnstreet.com/lessons/languages/), then click the 'Resume' button on the course you were on to continue where you left off.
2. Go to your profile by clicking on your name in the top right and view your courses in progress – click the ‘Resume’ button to continue.
We will be rolling out new languages in 2013! We'll make announcements when we're ready to launch them. Be sure to sign up to receive these announcements if you haven’t done so already.
You can get started with our free interactive courses by clicking on any of the links below.
2. Python course
3. Ruby course
If you already know one of these languages, test your coding skills with our projects in Code Garage.
Generally it depends on what you want to do. But if you're a beginner and you just want to get started with programming, we recommend Python as a great first language.
It depends on the course, but in general you will learn about fundamental programming concepts like variables, basic data types, functions, conditions, loops, objects, classes and more.
When you are doing a lesson in one of our courses, click on the "Contents" tab in the left panel. You will see a 'Revisit' button for the past Lessons you have completed. Click on this button to revisit past lessons.
Yes! Our current courses are free.
Code Garage contains in-browser programming projects that you can complete to practice your coding skills. You will code the functionality of a set of functions, and upon completion, you will be able to interact with the project UI. Build a Hangman or Minesweeper game, Sudoku solver, and much more in LearnStreet's Code Garage. Then share your creation with your friends!
Discover Code Garage.
All of our projects list time estimates to give you an idea of approximately how long each project should take to complete, but it will depend on your programming background and proficiency.